New Garden Historical Commission
to return to the home page and links to other articles
The Historical Commission has
proposed names for several previously unnamed streams within the
township in honor of early settlers in the area or for other
historical reasons. These names have been reviewed by the Board
of Supervisors and submitted to the USGS. The proposed names are
not official until accepted by the USGS.
The major streams in New Garden Township, Red Clay
Creek, White Clay Creek, Trout
Run, Broad Run, Egypt Run
and Walnut Run, have names which extend beyond
memory. In early deeds, these names occur to mark farm boundaries
The origins of the proposed new stream names are as follows:
Agnew Run: is located on land owned in the
18th century by Archibold Agnew. The stream flows into the better
known Bucktoe Creek, named for the 19th century
African-American church which today is marked only by its
Brickyard Run: provided the water necessary
for the manufacture of bricks. This brickyard on the present
airport property was one of at least four brickyards operating in
19th century New Garden.
Chandler's Creek: is named for Enoch Chandler
who built the first grist mill in Chandlerville, later named
Evans Brook: is named for the first land
owner, Evan Evans, who had a Penn Patent for 500 acres. The brook
rises on Evans' land and follow his northern boundary.
Lamborn Run: in the Township Park is named
for the Lamborn family which owned the land from the 18th century
until the early 20th century, for more than 125 years. The stream
rises in the Marsden meadow.
Laurel Woods Creek: takes its name from its
location in the woods of the same name. Here in Springtime, the
hillsides are dotted with mountain laurel.
Lenni-Lenape Creek: is named in honor of the
bands of Indians who frequented its banks during the Colonial
period and before.
Miller Run: takes its name from John Miller
who received a Penn Patent for 1013 acres in 1714.
Mushroom Creek: runs through the heart of New
Garden's mushroom farms and is named to honor that industry.
Richards Run: rises on land which was
patented to Mary Rowland Richards by William Penn in 1708.
Scarlet Run: crosses the 160 acre homestead
established by John and Mary Dixon Scarlett in 1765.
Tannery Run: was the source of water for a
tannery built by Isaac Allen about 1765. Passing through several
owners, the tannery closed in 1863, having lasted for almost 100
Walton Creek: rises on land which was in the
Walton family for about 150 years. Purchased by Joel M. Walton
(1828-1907), the land today is the site of the New Garden
Township spray field.
Water Plug Prong: is a streamlet of the White
Clay Creek so named because it provided water for the Pomeroy and
Newark Railroad at Water Plug Siding.
Whiskey Run: owes its name to whiskey barrels
which rolled into the stream when a farmer's team crossing the
bridge in darkness, stumbled and upset the wagon.
Woodcock Rill: is so named because about 20
years ago now probably extinct Woodcocks were seen, heard, and
may have nested near the headwaters of this stream.