The Historical Commission has proposed names for several previously unnamed streams within the township in honor of early settlers in the area or for other historical reasons. These names have been reviewed by the Board of Supervisors and submitted to the USGS. The proposed names are not official until accepted by the USGS.
The major streams in New Garden Township, Red Clay Creek, White Clay Creek, Trout Run, Broad Run, Egypt Run and Walnut Run, have names which extend beyond memory. In early deeds, these names occur to mark farm boundaries or waterways.
The origins of the proposed new stream names are as follows:
Agnew Run: is located on land owned in the 18th century by Archibold Agnew. The stream flows into the better known Bucktoe Creek, named for the 19th century African-American church which today is marked only by its cemetery.
Brickyard Run: provided the water necessary for the manufacture of bricks. This brickyard on the present airport property was one of at least four brickyards operating in 19th century New Garden.
Chandler's Creek: is named for Enoch Chandler who built the first grist mill in Chandlerville, later named Landenberg.
Evans Brook: is named for the first land owner, Evan Evans, who had a Penn Patent for 500 acres. The brook rises on Evans' land and follow his northern boundary.
Lamborn Run: in the Township Park is named for the Lamborn family which owned the land from the 18th century until the early 20th century, for more than 125 years. The stream rises in the Marsden meadow.
Laurel Woods Creek: takes its name from its location in the woods of the same name. Here in Springtime, the hillsides are dotted with mountain laurel.
Lenni-Lenape Creek: is named in honor of the bands of Indians who frequented its banks during the Colonial period and before.
Miller Run: takes its name from John Miller who received a Penn Patent for 1013 acres in 1714.
Mushroom Creek: runs through the heart of New Garden's mushroom farms and is named to honor that industry.
Richards Run: rises on land which was patented to Mary Rowland Richards by William Penn in 1708.
Scarlet Run: crosses the 160 acre homestead established by John and Mary Dixon Scarlett in 1765.
Tannery Run: was the source of water for a tannery built by Isaac Allen about 1765. Passing through several owners, the tannery closed in 1863, having lasted for almost 100 years.
Walton Creek: rises on land which was in the Walton family for about 150 years. Purchased by Joel M. Walton (1828-1907), the land today is the site of the New Garden Township spray field.
Water Plug Prong: is a streamlet of the White Clay Creek so named because it provided water for the Pomeroy and Newark Railroad at Water Plug Siding.
Whiskey Run: owes its name to whiskey barrels which rolled into the stream when a farmer's team crossing the bridge in darkness, stumbled and upset the wagon.
Woodcock Rill: is so named because about 20 years ago now probably extinct Woodcocks were seen, heard, and may have nested near the headwaters of this stream.